Eyeglasses require special care, and you want to make sure that you keep them clean without ware and tare. Here are a few steps to follow if you’re looking for a way to keep your glasses clean:
- Wash your hands first. Before you begin to wash the glasses, ensure that your hands don’t have lotion, grime or dirt on them. The material on your hands could transfer to your lenses and damage them. You’ll want to use dish or lotion-free soap to clean your glasses.
- Rinse. Under lukewarm water, rinse your glasses. It can be tap water and be sure that the stream is gentle. The water should help remove any debris on your glasses and prevent the next steps from scratching the lenses. Avoid using hot water, as it has the potential to damage some lens coatings.
- Apply soap.“A little goes a long way” applies to this step perfectly. Many soaps are highly concentrated, so you don’t need to use very much.
- Rub.Gently massage the soap into the glasses. Be sure that you clean every part of the pair of glasses. The nose pads and frames may collect skin oil and debris, so you want to be sure to wash those thoroughly.
- Rinse.Rinse both sides of the lenses. Leftover soap smears if left on the glasses.
- Shake gently.Shake the glasses gently to remove most of the water droplets.
- Dry.Make sure you’re drying your glasses with a lint free towel. If the towel is dirty, the dirt in the fabric could attach to your freshly cleaned lenses.
- Double-check. Re-inspect your lenses in case they need to be washed again. If so, you can repeat these steps. If they look good, you’re good to go!
While keeping your eyeglasses clean:
- Use dish soap and lukewarm water.
- Use the cloth cleaner that your lens provider gives you when you guy your glasses.
- Wipe your lenses while they’re dry. Any debris has the potential to scratch them.
- Blow and then wipe on your shirt. That can also cause scratches.
- Use window cleaner. The harsh chemicals can damage your lenses.
- Wipe with tissues or toilet paper. Those products have the potential to scratch your lenses as well.